Translate

Monday, June 11, 2012

Everyday addictions By Julia Purdom Dillavou

Okay friends, I know it has been a few days...Some changes, some aches, some rearranging.....However, I am back......Hmm today's topic...Just so you are aware this blog is totally off the cuff. Hoping to to sit down and pre-write some of these; however, for the moment they are basically 5-10 minute rants or themes of what I am thinking about at this moment in time...Right now it is that we here in West Chicago need some rain and the Chicago Cubs need to give me back my broom and learn how to play the game again  ;p  But then again I would have to sweep and clean...Aww keep the dang thing!!!!
    Which leads me to my topic today...addictions of all shapes and sizes....
Yes, you have the addictions, to drugs, alcohol, smoking etc.... I am focusing on other types of addictions.. Let me preface this by with the statement that the aforementioned addictions are not problems it is just that people do not realize that many people have an addiction that they are not aware of. There are people who have addictions to exercise, cleaning, partying...I am not one of those people, I am too lazy to do any of those things ;p. Actually, I am working on trying to enjoy exercising, cleaning just gotta do it and partying not gonna happen cause I am just too boring...
    There are addictions to shopping, traveling, working, sleeping, candy, junk food... Again I am not one of these people ;p If I have the money shopping is fun, traveling hmm I am a homebody unless it is Disney world :), working I would rather do then clean any day of the week, sleeping...hmm normal there, candy was a past addiction and junk food is starting to be a thing of the past but not quite...
    Okay, now you are asking what ARE your addictions??? Hmmm, I am a recovering bookaholic who will backslide for the right book; I am addicted to television especially anything that will make me laugh; I LOVE food even with my food allergies. However, my worst addictions by far are being a slob to the Nth degree and the television... Okay occasionally a Facebook backslider too.
   I like to browbeat myself a lot; however, there are some addictions I have indeed overcome...I had a very severe, very real addiction to day dreaming..Not the occasional for a few seconds day dreaming..I am talking the big time take a nap as an excuse for day dreaming with a whole other life dreaming...Not a healthy way to live...I am also not as self hating as I used to be...Hey man, this is way better than I used to be...And seriously my addiction to books is way better, I have not read a book in 5 days. I normally could not go through a day wthout one.
   The thing about any addiction isn't necessarily that they may harm you..It is the unintentional harm done to others and the plain fact that you are missing out on one of the greatest things around!! LIFE!!! Too much day dreaming, reading, television or whatever else you do to the exclusion of living your everyday life with the people you love is an addiction and takes away time, energy and an importance of anything else in life...
   It took me decades to break the cycle of day dreaming and reading that were used to avoid people, circumstances or feelings I did not want to deal with.... So before you talk trash about someone else's addiction to alcohol, food, gaming, etc. take a look in the mirror and see if there is something you devote too much time too that is not healthy. Exercise, food, reading, etc can all be healthy pursuits until they are used to avoid life, family, friends....These are things I am still working on..Mainly for me it is television and being a slob..What are your issues?
   Remember that none of us are perfect.We all have something we want to work on, some of us have more than we would like to have. Please remember that you are loved!! We can work through these things if we reach out when we need help and if we are honest with ourselves.... So if you are sitting there thinking I am the only one with this addiction..you are probably wrong and again you are loved. Until next time keep on plugging away at finding a way to enjoy life without hurting yourself or others...

   


2 comments:

  1. yep, that would be fencing - stop me before I stab again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! At least that is exercise...and I assume you are using a safety tip???? ;p

      Delete

Please leave a comment..I value hearing from you..or please feel free to email me at annoyingbgirl@gmail.com. Remember you are loved!