Translate

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ear worms, yes you heard right ear worms

    Good day everyone, how's it hanging? I was wandering down the stairs earlier with my nightly bowl of chocolate ice cream when I had an ear worm: "Monday,  Monday" by the Mommas and the Papa's. For you younglings it was a hip group in the 60's. Before my time and I have not heard that song in ages so why now? You got me; however, that is the nature of ear worms. In case you hadn't figured it out "ear worms" are those songs that get stuck in your head. Usually, something recently listened too but can happen for no reason at all. Hence the "Monday, Monday" song on a Saturday evening.
    Which got me thinking of songs we love over the course of a lifetime. Oldsters & middlings may understand this better than younglings; however, a song you may  have loved 10 years ago may make you cringe now. Then there are the ones you will always love because of their history. Today I am going to cover the songs I remember from past to present that I liked and loved.
     As a youngling who had limited access to a radio that I could play loudly there were a handful of songs I remember listening to and enjoying; "Billy Don't Be a Hero"; "Locomotion" played in gym class; "Will you Marry Me Bill"; "I Shot the Sheriff"; "I Can See Clearly Now" and of course anything by the Jackson 5 ; The Osmond's; The Partridge Family, The Bay City Rollers and the Bee Gees (May they rest in peace). This was in grade school and middle school of course. Some of these groups I still like; Osmond's not as much, Partridge family had some peppy tunes. I was a very soft kiddie pop fan I guess.
    When I got to high school I was into the Beatles;Sonny & Cher and then Cher solo; The Carpenters; Beach Boys and Janis Ian; retro I know for those in the know. My favorite songs of that period were "At Seventeen" by Janis Ian-my theme song; "Cherokee People" by Paul Revere and the Raiders; "Gypsies, Tramp and Thieves" or anything by Cher; "Yesterday"; "Eleanor Rigby"; again still retro or sad I was a teenager in an era of angst filled teenagers; okay so I was a loner; an outsider; a wacko born a decade too late maybe?? Who cares good songs are good songs.
    Fast forward to my twenties and I was into dancing which is where I met my hubby and ironically (if you read my previous favorite songs) his name is Bill; even more ironic he does not like to dance and yet that is how we met...Hmmm. My fave song is "Hello" by Lionel Ritchie as that is "our" song. When we went dancing there were songs such as "Little Red Corvette"; "1999". Bill had a friend who would occasionally dance with me if the right song came on.."Super Freak"..Such a Freaky Girl!! Loved that song too reminds me of an old friend long passed..RIP Dan... "Dancing Queen" and too many others too remember. Cher came into her own and  loved her songs too. Got into the Beatles some more such an enduring group; fell in love with the Beach Boys thanks to Bill especially "Kokomo". Still loved the Carpenters RIP Karen. Donna Summer one of my major faves again RIP. Dang a lot of good ones have passed on so....
    Fast forward to my thirties and forties when I when I went through a country phase: Reba Mcentire; Alan Jackson; Gretchen Wilson; Neal McCoy; Alabama; John Anderson; Dolly Parton to name a few favorites. Loved "Red Neck Woman"; "Swinging"; "Wink"; again all peppy songs.
Fast forward to my forties to now..when my teenage daughter introduced me to new groups; Aqua a very peppy group, The Cranberries; Britney Spears "Oops..I Did it Again"; "Lucky". I have never really been known to follow the fads until I hit my 40's when I got into Rihanna; Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl"; a fun song. I love Adelle she has such a natural voice nothing enhanced about it.
Nowadays, my taste has changed again to K Love Radio  music: Third Day; The Afters; Mercy Me; Casting Crowns. Although I still love Adele and even like Lady Gaga.
     Well, this has been a long winded blog and I hope it brings back some memories or intrigues you enough to search them out. Ask me questions, rescue me from the next ear worm that comes along ;p. Remember you are loved and music is a gift to be shared and enjoyed......

2 comments:

  1. How does a HOH like music when you can't here the words feel the music. Where is Willie and Waylon and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol at anonymous. That is why I like certain singers better than others. I like to understand the words & I like the beat on different types of music. Willie is cool, love "Blue Skies", "Momma's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys". I also forgot Stevie Wonder was always one of my faovrites too. Not country of course just a favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment..I value hearing from you..or please feel free to email me at annoyingbgirl@gmail.com. Remember you are loved!