Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Good evening or morning out there! This is part two of my HOH blog; welcome to my world. I am not deaf and I am not nor have I ever been a part of the deaf or HOH community. Sort of like a stranger in a strange land; I don't belong in the world of the hearing and I don't belong in the world of the deaf and HOH. Not that I am complaining; I am my own unique individual like everyone else in this crazy mixed up universe.
   However, that being said there are a few things I would like to address such as helpful pointers for everyday life and for the workplace.

When dealing with an HOH in everyday life here are some helpful hints:

1) Make sure the HOH knows you want to talk to them before you start; get their attention or you may be wasting your breath. Most of us don't mind a tap or a wave.
2) Make sure your lips/mouth are in clear view so that if lip reading is needed to clarify what you say they can read your lips.
3) If you have repeated something twice don't give up instead rephrase. Most HOH have letters, numbers, words, etc that they can not differentiate from others; so rephrasing allows them the opportunity to hear different words that may be easier to understand. Not all HOH have the same types of hearing loss so what one can hear may be a problem for another HOH.
4) Be patient, the HOH is just as frustrated as you; as well as being embarrassed at making you repeat.

Here are some helpful hints for dealing with HOH in the workplace, school, etc:
1) Include the HOH in the decision making process for issues that affect them; don't decide for them and don't assume they don't mind hearing about it after the fact instead of being included in a group.
2) Make sure only one person speaks at a time in a group; it is hard to keep up when more than one person talks for a hearing person even worse for HOH.
3) Do not exclude HOH people from group discussions just because it takes more effort; it is rude and in some cases it is discriminatory to exclude the HOH.

Wow, this blog went way longer than I intended...so there may be a part 3 which will be way more fun...Unless I move on to something else. It is my blog and I can change my mind if I want to! ;p

**Remember, in many cases if an HOH appears standoffish or hard to approach it is a protective barrier from being hurt or from the paranoia that comes with being HOH or deaf and everyone around you is grouping for social or work reasons. Being HOH or deaf can feel like being in a fish bowl; you see a lot of interesting movement around you; however, you don't quite know what is going on since you can't hear the normal everyday sounds hearing people can.

Well, I hope your ears are not bleeding..too much........Again, if you have questions concerns or complaints please feel free to post a comment and I will be happy to respond.
Live long and prosper & please know that you are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment..I value hearing from you..or please feel free to email me at annoyingbgirl@gmail.com. Remember you are loved!